Monday, August 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home with Brownies, Chinese Food, Gelato & Raspberry Granola

Hemp Brownies! Recipe by Aimee (known as Bitt on goneraw.com). You can find original recipe on goneraw.com. Just CLICK HERE. Aimee has a cool blog called A Bitt of Raw that I enjoy following.

Aimee gave me permission to post the recipe. Since these brownies got such rave reviews on goneraw.com, I decided to double the recipe. Here’s the recipe which is doubled and has my very slight variations:

  • 2/3 cup of Hemp seeds (same as hemp nuts)
  • 19 small to medium fresh dates (I had mostly small ones)
  • 2/3 cup of walnuts (plus a few more)
  • slightly less than 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup of cacao powder
  • 2 small pinches of sea salt

Preparation:

1. Pit dates
2. Process dates in food processor to a paste
3. Add walnuts, hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds. Puree until well processed.
4. Add cacao powder, salt. Process until well-mixed.
5. Add vanilla and blend a bit more. Taste to add more of anything!
6. Mold into small balls or little truffle-type things. Press goji berries or coconut shreds on top if desired. OR more hemp seeds if you want them to look like the store-bought ones.
7. EAT!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joyce’s Notes: This is a fantastic tasting raw vegan brownie!! Even Scott loved these and he can be picky with raw brownies and truffles! I made the brownies earlier in the work week and Scott took some to his office everyday. He said he liked them better than the raw chocolate truffles we brought home from Montreal. He liked the smooth chocolate texture. I also found these to be a very rich chocolate treat as well. I took a couple to work and found that I had a blast of energy afterwards without crashing like I would with typical American junk food. This recipe looks rather healthy but it tastes so naughty and sinful! That’s what I love about this lifestyle!!

Hemp seeds are actually one of the most complete sources of protein and luckily they taste good! They are also packed with a balanced ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6! And of course they have 0.00% THC levels…hehe ;-) I buy mine at Natural Provisions Health Food Store in Williston, VT.

For the photos, I rolled the brownie balls in lucuma powder, mesquite powder and maca powder. I topped 2 of the brownies with hemp seeds and berries. The other ones I topped with shredded coconut and dried banana chips. For a quick and easy chocolate dessert, give this one a try!

Chinese Broccoli in Hoisini Sauce with Parsnip “Rice”. This is another successful recipe created by Russell James. This recipe was published in Russell’s “News from the Kitchen eZine, Issue #21”. It was actually emailed to me since I singed up for his newsletters. To obtain this recipe and future recipes, go to his website: www.therawchef.com . OR you can simply find it HERE on the Raw Freedom Community website. Thanks to Carmella for posting it :-)

Joyce’s Notes: I’m not a huge fan of typical Chinese fast-food found here in the States. But Scott and I both found this to be a delicious and tasty recipe. We totally enjoyed this one on Saturday evening after a nice hike. Thanks to Angela’s post and glowing review from the Happy Raw Kitchen blog, I decided this would be another good one to try. In fact I doubled the recipe so we could have leftovers on Sunday! And I wanted to use my new Chinese plates I picked up in Montreal’s China town last weekend. So this worked out great!

The broccoli was dehydrated with olive oil, lemon juice and tamari for 4 hours. This worked well for an authentic cooked texture. Next time I might use less lemon and more olive oil. Keep the broccoli large enough as it will shrink and you don’t want it crispy.

I loved the parsnip ‘rice’!! I’ve made variations of this in the past and this was another tasty version. The parsnips are processed in the food processor with pine nuts, macadamia nuts, light/white miso, and cold-pressed sesame oil. Chopped scallions (spring onions) are mixed in at the end. You must like parsnips to enjoy this ‘rice’ as the flavorings won’t disguise the unique taste of this root vegetable. That being said, this ‘rice’ did pass the picky-husband test so I’d say give the ‘rice’ a try!

The Hoisini Sauce was indeed very good! This consisted of raw tahini, lemon juice, yacon syrup, apple cinder vinegar, tamari, garlic, fresh jalapeno, and fresh ginger. I found this sauce to be very thick so I added a bit of water which worked well. If you don’t have access to yacon syrup, agave will be just fine. I used about 3/4 of a large jalapeno.

Overall, I’d say give this one a try if you are craving a nice hearty, filling and rich tasting Chinese style dinner! Russell did well with his recipe!

More Sweets!!

Raspberry Vanilla-Almond Granola over Almond Gelato! Both recipes are by Matthew Kenney and found in his book, Everyday Raw. I highly recommend trying these together as they compliment each other perfectly with flavorings!

Joyce’s Notes: The Almond Gelato was super sweet and sinful! We both liked it a lot! And it worked well in my ice cream maker! This gelato consists of cashews, macadamia nuts, young Thai coconut meat, agave syrup, water, vanilla extract, almond extract, sea salt and coconut oil. There are no almonds in this recipe but the almond extract gives it a very sweet almond flavor which we both loved. (I use the organic Frontier brand). Next time I might use more cashews and less macadamia nuts as they are rather distinct in flavor. I’m a sweet tooth so the sweetness factor was fine for myself and Scott. I also want to say that the texture while being in the freezer was perfect. It wasn’t too hard to scoop the next day.

The Raspberry Vanilla-Almond Granola was excellent as well! Thanks to Aimee’s blog, A Bitt of Raw (mentioned above), I decided to try this granola especially since raspberries are in season now! She gave this recipe a wonderful review as well!

Scott and I both are still enjoying this granola which was my first attempt at a raw vegan version! Scott even enjoyed some this morning for breakfast with soy milk (sorry, forgot to make some raw almond mylk). It’s also great as a healthy, filling, tasty snack!

Matthew’s recipe is truly delicious. If you have the book, definitely try it! I cut the recipe in half and it still made 2 decent sized squares on 2 dehydrator screens. The recipe calls for fresh raspberries, sunflower seeds, pecans, almonds, maple syrup, dates, pears, vanilla, almond extract, sea salt, ginger juice, and lime zest. The lime zest, ginger juice and maple syrup taste brilliant together. (I found my ginger juice this past winter at either Healthy Living or City Market). One thing to note is that before it gets dehydrated the mixture will taste super sweet. But it will tone down quite a bit after being dehydrated for 24-48 hours!

Here’s a photo after being dehydrated and picked at a bunch. It’s hard to stop sneaking bits and pieces out of the dehydrator!!

Although Scott and I had a wonderful time in Montreal last weekend, it was so good to be home all weekend! I enjoyed my Saturday to leisurely make raw food and later enjoy the woods and trails near our house. On Saturday after most of my food prep was done, we did a short but beautiful hike that started almost across the street from our house. We are lucky live next to 426 acres of conservation land that belongs to the Vermont Land Trust. Some lovely hiking trails have been cut and marked including one that reaches the top of Libby’s Lookout! This is a breathtaking summit that’s so close to our house! A truly special place! Here are some photos of the trails and Libby’s Lookout:

Scott looking out at a beaver pond along the trail.

Parts of the trail are muddy with all the rain this summer!

Hazy views from Libby’s Lookout. Camel’s Hump is on the left in the distance.

Scott enjoying the summit views

Another shot from Libby’s Lookout

Our house is somewhere out there :-)

I’m always happy out in the woods!

Backside of Preston Pond which is on the trail back home. So pretty!

Almost back to our house!

Some Running Notes: Scott and I have less than 2 months until our first half marathon which happens on October 4 in Waterbury, Vermont. The Leaf Peepers Half Marathon is a big goal for myself since I’ve suffered from chronic knee problems and injuries for close to 20 years. Going raw vegan as given me the gift of ‘new’ knees within the last 9-10 months!

I’ve been slowly increasing my mileage and training for this half marathon. Although I am only loosely training, it’s still a big deal to be thinking about such a long race (13 miles). Over 10 years ago I went through 2 unsuccessful knee surgeries and gave up my passion for road bike racing. I wish I had known about the healing effects of raw and living foods back then!!!

Yesterday I did my first 10 mile run while Scott did 8. This was the longest I’ve ever been able to run. Now with my raw vegan body, I seem to be aging in reverse! It’s like I truly have a new body and new pair of knees! Stay tuned for more information on running raw and what to eat in my upcoming posts! I hope other injured athletes and all athletes can find my posts helpful.

Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a fun and healthy week!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce!
    Everything looks so lovely on your new plates. We sure have a lot of wonderful recipes to enjoy as raw foodies. Bitts hemp brownies are amazing!

    Thank you so much for linking to my blog:)That was a nice surprise to see as I was reading!

    It is so awesome that you have had such wonderful results by eating raw!!!

    Enjoy the rest of this beautiful day:)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela, Yes there are just so many good raw recipes out there! It's an exciting time to be eating and experimenting with raw vegan food! Heck my husband had raw scrambled 'tofu' for lunch made out of coconut meat, cashews and Irish moss and loved it! (Matthew Kenney's Everyday Raw)

    Anyhoo I do feel raw foods are so much fun and I'm so glad I discovered them. Yes, they've been a lifesaver to my knees and general well being for sure!

    What a gorgeous day! Just walked back to the office from City Market :-).....might sneak back out again!

    Cheers
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a great presentation technique! Everything always looks so fantastic. Love your outdoor photos as well. It just makes me want to visit Vermont. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the photos. Vermont is indeed a special and beautiful place. Winters can be tough but skiing and making lots of decadent raw food seems to be the key to survival here :-)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Joyce, way to make my brownies look amazing! Nice work. I need to hire you as my food stylist.

    That granola is amazing. I am about to make several batches before my trip back east!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aimee, glad you like how we did our brownies :-)

    When are you headed east? Will you be in VT? There will be a raw potluck with Natasha Kyssa on Sunday. On the following tues (Aug 11) Angela Stokes and Matt Monarch will be giving a talk in Montpelier

    Have a safe trip!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish is looking very sweet and tasty thanks to share with us this delicious recipe.

    Orangy - The Sweet Sour Tangy Taste of Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gaurav! thanks for visiting my blog! Happy friday!

    Cheers
    Joyce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I wanted to say you have a beautiful blog! I am vegan but when I saw your pies I immediately wanted to try raw recipes too. The first pie I tried was the Lemon Raspberry Pie. It was delicious!! I am excited to try the others!

    KEEP BLOGGING!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you enjoyed the Pie. It's a good one! And thanks for the kind words about my blog. Stop by again!

    Joyce :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.