Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Beautiful Living Food at Grezzo Restaurant!

This past weekend, we drove down to Boston and met Steph and John at Grezzo Restaurant for dinner. “Grezzo Restaurant is located in the heart of Boston's historic North End. This elegant, upscale restaurant serves food that is a virtual explosion of taste and a feast for the eyes. Set in rustic tones, the 28-seat candlelit restaurant with copper tables and crushed cranberry colored chairs specializes in Organic, Raw Vegan cuisine. “

This is Alissa Cohen’s beautiful raw vegan restaurant where I had a 12 hour chef training class at the end of August. CLICK HERE FOR MY BLOG POST. We had a great night and enjoyed all the fabulous food!

For Starters:

Grezzo sliders - house-made patties on vine-ripened tomato, pommes frites and pickles, creamy "bleu cheese" dressed hydroponic watercress. These were so good! We all loved them!

Appetizer special: Avocados with sour cream and broccoli. These were delicious too! I wish I had written down the full description. These tasty treats seemed to be a take on potato skins with sour cream which worked well. These were very filling!

Dinner entrees:

Land and Sea - locally harvested maitake, yellow oyster, black trumpet, hedgehog and honshimeji mushrooms.  Smooth lemon ricotta, dulse and Maine coast kelp. This was my favorite dish from the chef training class so I ordered it for dinner.

Lobster Thermidor - a terrine of tarragon and mustard seed cashew cheese, black grapes and baby spring vegetables. I loved this one as it was very adventurous and super flavorful. 

Native Tomato Ravioli - house-made black olive boursin, mint, fennel fronds, flat leaf parsley and truffle. Both Steph and John really loved this dish. I also thought it was amazing when I got to sample it at my class in August. For Italian food lovers, I highly recommend this dish! It’s also a good one for those new to raw foods!

Star Anise Crusted Papaya Steak - creamy dill vermicelli with marinated cucumber and olive salad. This is very good and of course it’s fish-free! It doesn’t taste like salmon, but I love how the spices and sweetness blend so well together. You must love papaya and sweet bold tastes to enjoy this one.

Dessert!

Pumpkin Cheesecake with gelato! Super decadent. We loved it!

Apple pave a' la mode - sweet and tart apples, lucuma caramel, whole clove ice cream. Beautiful and so creative! And of course it tasted wonderful.

Scott and I got down to Boston on noon with a ‘mission’. We tried on some new special running shoes and footwear that cannot be found yet in Vermont. I’ll post about it soon after I run more on this innovative new footwear ;-)

Because we arrived in the big city around lunchtime, we decided to have lunch at Grezzo as well as our dinner later on that night. Grezzo is a 3 hour drive so we wanted to experience as much wonderful raw vegan gourmet food as possible! Plus it was so nice to have someone else ‘uncook’ for us!

Lunch!

Cheese and Cracker plate. This was an amazing appetizer! Even Scott was super impressed with everything. The breadsticks were delicious and crispy. Scott loved these! They were dehydrated for 24 hours. The nut cheeses were also fantastic. Scott even liked the pickled veggies that also came on the plate. I highly recommend this one especially for people new to raw food.

Gnocchi Carbonara - house-made dumplings, creamy rawmesan and fresh English peas with pea shoots and crispy eggplant. This was my lunch which was super delicious! Everything went so well together.

"Free-Range" Chicken-less Salad - zucchini, creamy cumin cashew dressing, apples and grapes. This was Scott’s lunch and he loved it! He ate the whole thing! I had a few bites and thought it was the best mock chicken salad yet! Definitely a winner!

 

Grezzo is a wonderful restaurant to experience raw vegan gourmet food! We had so much fun and enjoyed everything. I can’t wait to try the new location in Newburyport, MA sometime next spring! And I’m also patiently waiting for the new Grezzo recipe book so I can make all the above dishes at home!!

 

On Sunday we drove across Massachusetts to visit one of my favorite people of all time!

This is Stella who is almost 95 years old! She’s a mother, a grandmother and a great grandmother. She is also one of the most amazing people I have ever known. Besides having a heart of gold, she looks and seems like she’s in her early 70s, not mid 90s! I’ve never met someone her age who is in such great health. Stella grew up on a farm and ate a diet of mostly veggies and fruit. Meat was a very rare delicacy on special occasions such as Easter. She has always eaten a diet of mostly plant-based foods with little meat. I believe her diet has contributed to her amazing health and vitality throughout the years!

Hope everyone’s doing well and getting ready for the winter in this part of the world! Cheers!

17 comments:

  1. How nice! I love all your updates. Thank you Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna! Wish Grezzo was closer! We'd be there all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...What amazing food at Grezzo! Thanks for sharing your amazing pictures:)

    Stella looks like a very special lady! I can only hope to be like her at 95:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela! glad you like the photos. We enjoyed a couple bottles of this wonderful red wine at a traditional Italian restaurant before our dinner reservations at Grezzo, so I was lucky to have been able to take a few shots that weren't blury or lopsided..hehe ;-)

    With all the lovely raw food you make, I'm sure you'll be going strong at 105! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That food looks great! I love their breadsticks. No brownie sundae? That's my fav. I'll be there in a week or two!

    Stella looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aimee, no brownie sundae this time. I keep hearing how awesome it is! I was dying to try the pumpkin cheesecake. I'm not sure why we chose the apple pave over the sundae...hmmmmm....next time though!

    Safe travels if we don't chat online before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i adore eating at grezzo.
    the papaya steak is one of my all time favorites! and the last time i was there i split the pumpkin cheese cake and apple pave too! sooo good. her clove geloto=amazing. and the brownie sundae is a classic. I have been known to go there for lunch and just get a $5 hemp brownie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth, I keep hearing great things about the brownie sundae! I love Grezzo and would be there all the time if it was closer! Happy Holidays! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grand photos! Grezzo looks delicious; I'm delighted that you took mouthwatering photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello
    Wow I must say that these are mouth watering and yummy food photographs.Its also good to know about Stella and interesting to know about grezzo.Thank you very much for this post.

    chinese herbs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow--your pics are great and making me swoon! I'd LOVE to visit Grezzo someday. Your posts are so inpsiring...

    ReplyDelete
  12. great blog!

    ding ding ding!!! i just noticed i am your 100th follower! what's my prize? =)

    hehe...just kiddinggg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi again, Joyce!

    I wanted to wish you a very happy and healthy new year, and let you know I gave you the Happy 101 award on my blog today:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I nominated you for the same award:
    http://joannasteven.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-blog-award.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUMMM!!! I obvi need to get to Boston fast :) Thanks for always sharing!

    I love your blog!I know you have already been nominated, but I wanted to join in the fun!
    I've nominated you for the Happy 101 Blog Award :) http://marisashealthykitchen.com/2010/01/04/happy-101-blog-award/
    Happy New Year!

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. So glad to know about this restaurant, Joyce. Thank you for sharing your beautiful food with us, and wishing you manygorgeous meals in this fresh new year. xo Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha, i just came to tell you i nominated you for the happy 101 blog award as well! i see you make a lot of bloggers happy! =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.